Job Charnock, an administrator who worked for the company, was formerly credited as the founder of the city; The area occupied by the present-day city encompassed three villages: Kalikata, Gobindapur, and Sutanuti.Kalikata was a fishing village; Sutanuti was a riverside weavers' village.Facing frequent skirmishes with French forces, the British began to upgrade their fortifications in 1756.The Nawab of Bengal, Siraj ud-Daulah, condemned the militarisation and tax evasion by the company.In 1793, ruling power of the Nawabs were abolished and East India company took complete control of the city and the province.
The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital" of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".
Richard Wellesley, Governor-General of the Presidency of Fort William between 17, was largely responsible for the development of the city and its public architecture.
The city underwent rapid industrial growth starting in the early 1850s, especially in the textile and jute industries; this encouraged British companies to massively invest in infrastructure projects, which included telegraph connections and Howrah railway station.
His warning went unheeded, and the Nawab attacked; he captured Fort William which led to the killings of several East India company officials in the Black Hole of Calcutta.
Per the 1765 Treaty of Allahabad following the battle of Buxar, East India company was appointed imperial tax collector of the Mughal emperor in the province of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa, while Mughal-appointed Nawabs continued to rule the province.